I LOVE cauliflower. In fact, I serve cauliflower so often that my daughter protests. Anyway, I found perfect cauliflower at the Green City Market this week and I cannot resist posting another recipe from The Purple Pig.
Charred Cauliflower with Toasted Breadcrumbs, Cornichons, and Parsley
(adapted from Charred Cauliflower with Cornichons by Jimmy Bannos Jr.)
- 1 head of cauliflower, cored and chopped into 1 inch florets
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ½ ounces fresh bread crumbs*
- ¼ cup cornichons, thinly sliced
- ½ cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
In a small sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat and toast the bread crumbs with salt and pepper to taste until golden, approximately 4-5 minutes. Allow the bread crumbs to cool and crisp on a plate.
Preheat a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Toss the cauliflower with 1 ½ tablespoons of the olive oil and add to the pan. Char the florets, turning often, until the cauliflower is slightly tender and blackened in spots, approximately 8-10 minutes. Pour the charred florets into a large serving bowl.
Add the cornichons, parsley, lemon juice, and 1 ½ tablespoons of the olive oil to the bowl with the cauliflower and toss gently to combine. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with toasted bread crumbs.
* I remove the crust from day old bread, pulse it in the food processor to create coarse bread crumbs, and freeze for use in recipes.